Wednesday, May 28, 2008

98.33%

Φ's score on the Intercollegiate Studies Institute Civics Quiz was 59 of 60 questions answered correctly. Not too bad for a 2:00 AM bout of insomnia.

The quiz is multiple choice, For a few of the questions, it is possible to quibble over the "correct" answer; however, the alternatives among which the correct one is listed are indisputably wrong, so it should be easy to identify.

According to the Seattle Times:

ISI gave the test to students at a number of universities, offering money for volunteers to take it. The best average score, 69.56%, was at Harvard University. Next were Grove City College (67.26%) Washington & Lee U (66.98%) and Yale (65.85%). University of Washingon students scored at 55.88%, which was about in the middle. At the bottom were students at St. Thomas University in Florida, at 32.5%.

Spoilers below the fold.

Continue reading


Hat tip: Ace

3 comments:

trumwill said...

I got a 95%, missing three. I can't BELIEVE that I missed one of them that I did. Roosevelt's economic program. How retarded is it that I missed that? I just wasn't thinking. I managed to get the govt's largest payout question down to two possibilities and guessed the wrong one of those two. I also missed Jonestown, which I had also narrowed to two and guessed the wrong one.

Brandon Berg said...

I also got a 95%, though two of those were because I misread "Andrew Johnson" as "Andrew Jackson" and "Thomas Paine" as "Thomas Jefferson." The one I legitimately missed was the one about the Federal Reserve.

Burke said...

Crimminy, I can't get the fold button to work. Anybody know if this works on blogspot?

The Federal Reserve question was the one I missed as well. The answer to the question, "What happens when the federal reserve buys bonds?" that I was looking for -- "The money supply increases" -- wasn't among the choices, and I couldn't think through the chain of causality for the others at 2:00 a.m.