Tuesday, September 23, 2008

On Turning 40

- I'm now older that my professors.

- I can't really fit into 32 Haynes anymore. I have to use 32/34 Haynes.

- I wonder if maybe there was something to all those warnings about how situps would be bad for my back.

- I really can go for more than two days without sex.

- My daughter beats me at backgammon.

- I don't rate an opinion, even a bad one, from women under 30.

- My music gets played on the "Oldies" station.

- Marcia Trimble could have been a classmate.

4 comments:

bobvis said...

My music gets played on the "Oldies" station.

Ouch.

bobvis said...

For 33 days, Nashville wondered what happened to a 9-year-old Girl Scout who disappeared while out delivering cookies.

The AP seems to have screwed up the tag line of this article. 33 days magically changes to 33 years for the whole rest of the article. Yet another find in my continuing fight to show traditional media sucks.

Burke said...

Yeah, I thought that too. On a second reading, however, I realized that the 33 days was the time between the girl's disappearance and the discovery of her body. This was 33 years ago.

The weird thing is, I remembered the story. I lived in the region at the time, and it dominated news coverage sufficiently to make an impression on a seven-year-old. In fact, ten years later when I met a young lady named Trimble, I wondered if she was any relation. (She wasn't.)

bobvis said...

Ah, got it. Interesting that the same number seems in play.

Did you get what was going on?