Thursday, April 02, 2009

Φ Takes the Religion Quiz

Via Trumwill, I took Beliefnet's religion quiz, with the following results:

No surprises in my case. A couple of points. First, the test was of above average difficulty. I can imagine that many of the nominal members of many mainline denominations, people who hadn't really put a lot of study into the specific tenets of their putative creeds but were rather more invested in the experiential/emotional aspects of America's religious culture, would wind up failing the test. Trumwill, for instance, despite being a (latitudinarian) Episcopalian, scored lower on Protestantism than I did on Islam.

The other point is that the options on some of these multiple-choice questions were unsatisfactory. The only Trinitarian option (or so I assume) was "Multiple personal gods (or goddesses) regarded as facets of one God, and/or as separate gods," which encompases a lot of error around a specific truth. There were no less that five questions involving salvation, but not one of the available answers said anything about "the imputed righteousness of Christ", or even faith. And I was only allowed to "agree" or "disagree" with the proposition that "Roles for women and men should be prescribed." (Which is probably how I got such a high Muslim score, come to think of it.)

1 comment:

trumwill said...

I scored higher on liberal-to-mainland than conservative-to-mainland, which is probably right. I think I should partially get a pass for belonging to a denomination that itself doesn't know what it believes :).

I thought the test was pretty good. People that don't know what their church believes are very likely to end up getting the "wrong" answer. People that know their religion (and believe it, of course) are likely to get the "right" one.

I'm with you on the agree/disagree ones. That's a question with a lot of shades of answer. There were a few of them where I had to settle on the "least incorrect" answer.