Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

I watched The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the screen adaptation of the F. Scott Fitsgerald novel of the same name. A few thoughts:

  • The first word I would use to describe the film would be: beautiful. It isn't just that the film is well-crafted entertainment or a compelling story, although it is certainly both of these. It isn't even the loving period recreations of New Orleans, New York, Paris, and Mansk. It is that the post-WW I world the movie depicts is at peace with itself. It is incongruous that one could say this about a movie covering most of the 20th Century, and indeed this could be seen as a failing. The Great Depression is depicted with little in the way of immiseration. The scenes set in Mansk show no signs of Stalinism. Even the combat scenes of WW II give grace and dignity to the men who die in them. In some respects, we are invited to share the vision of Benjamin himself. In his early years, he is something of a Forest Gump like character: not that he's stupid, but despite his appearance as an old man, he has the innocence of a boy.

  • Nowhere is the peacefulness of the world more noticeable than in the film's depiction of race relations in New Orleans. Indeed, the film's handling of race could almost be regarded as an alternative history of America, one in which segregation, the Civil Rights movement, and our whole nasty experience of racial acrimony simply disappears. I'm not an historian, and perhaps New Orleans really did have an outsized level of racial and social integration as the movie implies. If so, it is a New Orleans nowhere in evidence by the images Hurricane Katrina brought to our television screens.

  • A word about religion. Queenie, Benjamin's adoptive mother, says of the monstrously deformed child, "You're ugly, but you're still a child of God." It would be difficult to imagine the contemporary liberal, last seen howling for the blood of Trig Palin, extending such compassion to baby Benjamin without this moral insight: that our worth as human beings is not a function of our ability and willingness to vote for liberal politicians, or to vote at all, but rather by being created in God's image.

  • A word on sex. The movie implies that Benjamin is given a religious upbringing, but it is a pity that this didn't include any instruction on the 7th Commandment. It isn't just that Benjamin loses his virginity in a Bourbon Street brothel. It's that he has sex with two different married women in the course of the movie. If these scenes are failful to the source material, then so be it, but I hope this doesn't mean that movies will feel free to give sympathetic portrayals of adultery going forward.

  • A word on old age. This particular aspect of the film was especially poignant to me personally. The "young" Benjamin suffers the infirmaties of old age, yet he grows stronger instead of weaker. While this is inspiring, in real life, one of the great dangers of old age is that we hurt ourselves much more easily. I contemplated this in light of my own encroaching mortality. As I announced last September, I am now 40 years old, and frankly I'm beginning to feel it. This year has been especially hard. I started to develop rotator-cuff problems, which has forced me to cut back significantly on my swimming and given me a steady diet of anti-inflamatory medication. I've had a mysterious cough for several months that stubbornly refuses to completely abate. Whereas only a year ago I would leap out of bed in the morning to knock out calesthenics and not even count them as a "workout" but just a way of starting the day, now my calesthenics are much rarer, and I realize that I haven't worked out even five times in a week in longer than I can remember. I'm getting the impression that old age really sucks when we're getting older instead of younger.

  • One more thing. The movie is "Rated PG-13 for brief war violence, sexual content, language and smoking." Smoking? Don't get me wrong: I don't smoke, and I would never permit my minor children to smoke. But let me get a show of hands: how many parents really want to protect their children from movies that show people smoking?

4 comments:

trumwill said...

You know, I would have laughed at that smoking thing 5-10 years ago, but I'm coming around on the notion that smoking presented in a non-negative light should not be in movies directed towards children.

Burke said...

When you put it that way, sure, but Button was directed towards adults, and the smoking occurred in the period setting. Somehow it just felt different than it would have if, say, Pixar characters were shown smoking.

On the one hand, I myself have never been the least bit tempted to smoke, so it's hard for me to imagine why seeing a movie character smoking would make someone want to smoke. Then again . . . I remember being a child and miming smoking behavior while playacting. So I guess I must have somehow associated smoking with looking "cool". But the countervailing message -- smoking is bad for you -- was sufficiently powerful that I can't imagine having acted on that association. Maybe if I had had a different peer group, then it might have been a possibility. But then it gets hard to isolate the marginal effect of the media.

Let me put it this way. If I was watching, say, Mad Men with my daughter, it would not occur to me to cover her eyes during the smoking scenes like I would during the illicit sex scenes.

trumwill said...

I think that smoking on-screen should be far less a factor than sex or violence (about on-par with language), but I suspect that is the case already. It was listed as one of many reasons for the PG-13 ratings.

As for what gets people to smoke, it's such a stupid habit that the reasons are pretty necessarily frivolous. Exposure, real and in the movies and in the popular consciousness, factors in pretty heavily. At least a part of me favors anything that pushes it to the fringes.

Brandon Berg said...

When you put it that way, sure, but Button was directed towards adults...Hence the PG-13 rating.