Monday, April 23, 2012

I have a religion . . .

. . . and this isn’t it.

Elements of Integrity First include:

Discipline and Self-control [3/7]:

Religious toleration [3/3]: Military professionals must remember religious choice is a matter of individual conscience. Professionals, and especially commanders, must not shape, criticize, or encourage subordinates’ religious leanings or beliefs.

Elements of Service Before Self include:

Faith in the System [1/3]: Airmen trust their superiors exercise good judgment and humanity in their leadership decisions, just as all officers hope to engender trust in themselves and their leadership by making ethical, moral, and necessary decisions. As a default, we trust decisions are made after careful deliberation and consideration; we honor the system because we honor the men and women who make decisions within the system.

I can’t help but note with some bitter irony that, after being reminded that I can’t speak up on behalf of my own religion, that I must have faith in people whose word I wouldn’t accept for the spelling of their own names, let alone anything important.

2 comments:

Dexter said...

So, if my religious beliefs reject homosexuality, my commander is not allowed to criticize that belief?

Dr. Φ said...

Don't bet on it. There is a defacto hierarchy of values, and I promise you, yours will be at the bottom. So to speak.