Saturday, December 17, 2022

The Shadowban Files

I never had a lot of interaction on Twitter. Someone would like one of my tweets or, briefly, follow my channel until they figured out my tweets under the #diversity hashtag were actually counter-narrative (weirdly, this wasn't immediately obvious to them) maybe once a week. But even this limited traffic stopped cold on June 23, 2017 when Steve Sailer liked one of my retweets (which may or may not be related; Steve had liked my tweets before with no apparent effect). I gamely continued posting regularly to Twitter through 2019, and sporadically in 2020, before realizing there wasn't any point anymore to howling into the void; that, and deciding that as the counter-extremism push accelerated in 2021, the ride wasn't worth the risk.

One interesting follower I picked up about a month before my engagement dropped was Infosys Foundation USA, "Supporting greater access and inclusion in Computer Science education." I always thought that was weird. They're obviously not fellow-travelers, but also not obviously tracking every right-leaning blogger on the internet. So I don't know.

But now that St. Musk has opened a portal to its inner workings, I am middling curious as to the exact circumstances under which my apparent shadowbanning at Twitter was ordered. As I understand it, its internal emails have only been released to select journalists, not the internet at large, but if anyone can tell me how I could look this up, I would appreciate it.

No comments: